A Visitor’s Guide to Kelowna!
We hope you truly enjoy your visit to the sunny Okanagan. We have put together a list of a few of our favourite spots and activities to help ensure that you get the most out of your stay here.
Kelowna boasts many outstanding hotels and B&Bs for visitors to enjoy. Below are a few we really like. Check out their websites or give them a call to get more details about what they have to offer.
Grand Okanagan Resort
1 800 465-4651
Standard room cost: $259 - $349 (depending on season)
This elegant resort is right in the heart of Kelowna and offers excellent rooms with lake, mountain or city views. It is right on Lake Okanagan and within walking distance to many restaurants, a community theatre, the library, museum and other city attractions. Rooms have Internet capabilities and there is a fully equipped fitness centre available to guests as well. This is a quality resort and comes highly recommended.
Standard room cost: $109-$179 (depending on season)
The Eldorado is a piece of Kelowna’s heritage and has been operating since 1926. It is an elegant lakeside inn with 20 beautiful heritage rooms and a newly constructed wing with an additional 36 modern rooms. The Hotel offers excellent dining and has a private marina. When you stay at the Hotel Eldorado, you are just steps away from sunny beaches and within minutes of some of the best golfing in North America.
Manteo Beach Resort
1 800 445-5255
Standard room cost: $160-$295 (depending on season and view)
This secure and private waterfront resort offers hotel rooms and also villas right on the beach. It is a modern resort with all amenities and internet access, making working holidays convenient. The resort has a boating centre and private beach as well as indoor and outdoor swimming pools and a fully equipped fitness centre and spa. Manteo also boasts excellent dining. It isn’t hard to relax at this resort in the heart of Kelowna.
Coast Capri Hotel
Standard room cost: $130-$195 (depending on season)
This full service hotel is located only minutes from downtown. Every room has complimentary high speed, wireless internet. The hotel also boasts an award winning dining room and a year-round heated outdoor courtyard pool, hot tub and fitness centre.
Caps on Cadder B&B
Average room cost: $110-$150 (depending on season and room)
This cozy B&B has two well-appointed rooms and is conveniently located in the middle of Kelowna just two blocks from the Kelowna General Hospital. A full breakfast is served as well as coffee and tea on the patio when the weather permits. Rooms have cable TV and en-suite bathrooms.
Many of the hotels we listed offer excellent dining, but there are other diverse options available. Below are a few of the unique dining experiences to be had in Kelowna. Bon Appétit!
Birch Grill & Catering Co.: 8 -1470 Harvey ph: 860-3103
Dawett Fine Indian Cuisine: 1435 Ellis St. ph: 717-1668
Dawett has been voted best Asian and vegetarian restaurant in Kelowna and serves the finest of Indian cuisine.
La Bussola: 234 Leon ph: 763-3110
Voted best Italian cuisine in Kelowna, this cozy spot features fine Italian dining.
Mekong Restaurant: 1030 Harvey ph: 763-8000
The Mekong features mouthwatering traditional Chinese Szechwan cuisine.
Mongos Mongolian BBQ: 366 Bernard ph: 860-9004
Choose your own ingredients and sauces and they are stir fried fresh with rice or flour wraps.
Mon Thong Thai Restaurant: 1530 Water St. ph: 763-8600
The Mon Thong offers Authentic Thai cuisine with spicy or mild food prepared by Bangkok-trained chefs.
Swiss Italia: 1451 Ellis St. ph: 762-2666
Gourmet Swiss-Italian cuisine. The Swiss Italia offers a romantic atmosphere and live dinner music.
The Finer Choice: 237 Lawrence ph: 763-0422
Intimate dining and relaxing atmosphere. This European restaurant has a 4 diamond rating from CAA and has been voted best romantic dining
The Harvest Dining Room: 2725 KLO Rd. ph: 862-3177
Fine dining on West Coast cuisine. The Harvest Room offers an outdoor patio and spectacular views.
The Vintage Dining Room: 1171 Harvey ph: 860-6060
An award winning dining room at the Coast Capri Hotel. This restaurant has been voted the best restaurant in Kelowna.
Wild Apple Grill: 3766 Lakeshore ph: 860-4488
This modern restaurant is located at Manteo Beach Resort
Williams Inn: 526 Lawrence ph: 763-5136
This character inn offers quality European cookery.
Yamas: 1630 Ellis ph: 763-5823
Authentic Greek dining. This restaurant features a lunch buffet and weekend belly dancing and has been voted best Greek restaurant.
Kelowna offers a wide variety of recreational activities to suit anyone’s budget or inclinations. The natural beauty of the Okanagan valley can be enjoyed on many scenic walks or more rugged hikes in Kelowna, by getting to the beach, the ski hill or playing a round of golf on one of the best golf courses in North America.
Scenic Walks and Hikes
1. Near the Grand Hotel there is a meandering boardwalk along the waterfront of Lake Okanagan. This offers Kelowna summer atmosphere and will take you from the hotel to the city centre.
2. Rotary Marshes at Brandt’s Creek is a wildlife sanctuary in the estuary of Brandt’s Creek on the downtown Kelowna waterfront. This scenic boardwalk is very peaceful.
Movies and Live Theatre
1. Kelowna Community Theatre, located downtown near the Grand Hotel, offers professional and amateur theatre for play-lovers. Call the theatre at (250) 763-9018 or visit their website at www.kelownacommunitytheatre.com for information about current productions.
2. Paramount Theatre, 261 Bernard Ave. ph: (250) 762-9066
3. Orchard Plaza 5 (Famous Players), 1876 Cooper Rd. ph: (250) 860-1611
4. Grand 10, 948 McCurdy Rd. ph: (250) 861-2929
Kelowna has many excellent public beaches. A few of the popular ones are listed below.
1. City Park is located in the centre of downtown Kelowna at the base of Bernard Ave. It has a large sandy beach with volleyball nets, a children’s water park, playground, concession, seasonal washrooms and change rooms and many other summer amenities.
2. Gyro Beach is located on Lakeshore Rd. just minutes from downtown Kelowna. This is a very popular summer destination with a large sandy lakeshore. It is perfect for families as it has adventure playground structures, and a children's play area as well as seasonal washrooms and change rooms. The beach also offers concession, lighted walkways, volleyball courts, boat rentals and a large grass area with shade to relax in.
3. Bertram Park is a quieter beach located just south of Kelowna up Lakeshore Rd. This sprawling regional park is excellent for picnics as it has large grassy areas. There is also a pebbled beach and a dock for boats.
1. Big White Ski Resort is just 45 minutes from downtown Kelowna and boasts some of the best skiing in North America. Come and enjoy champagne powder, groomed runs and the many services and amenities the mountain community has to offer. Visit their site at www.bigwhite.com for more information on the services and amenities at the resort.
2. Silver Star Mountain is just outside of Vernon, to the North of Kelowna and is another excellent ski location. Visit their site at www.silverstarmtn.com for more information on the services and amenities that Silver Star has to offer.
Kelowna is proud to have many second to none golf courses that draw international attention.
1. Kelowna Golf and Country Club:
1297 Glenmore Dr. ph: (250) 763-2736 www.kgcc.bc.ca
This club has an excellent par 72 18-hole course in a semi-private setting. Come here to enjoy manicured greens and a tournament tested course. There is also dining for lunch or dinner.
2. The Harvest Golf Club:
2725 K.L.O. Rd. ph: (250) 862-3103 www.harvestgolf.com
This club offers a great course, a practice facility, full service clubhouse and fine dining at the Harvest Dining Room.
3. Mission Creek Golf Club:
1959 K.L.O. Rd. ph: (250) 860-3233 www.missioncreekgolfclub.com
This club has a mid-length 18-hole course, manicured greens, lush fairways and a restaurant and lounge for after game relaxation.
4. Gallagher’s Canyon Golf and Country Club:
4320 Gallagher’s Dr. W. ph: (250) 861-4240 www.gallaghersgolf.com
This club offers a spectacular par 72 18-hole course and players move along the edge of a picturesque canyon. There is also an excellent dining room and lounge.
5. Predator Ridge Golf Resort:
25 min. North of Kelowna Airport ph: (250) 542-3436 www.predatorridge.com
This club has three different 9-hole courses with signature holes and scenic views. There are also complete practice facilities at Predator Ridge including a driving range, chipping and short game area, practice bunkers and two putting greens. Guests can also stay at the resort for a golf holiday.
The Okanagan Valley boasts many fine wineries that offer an interesting way to spend a day. Most provide winery tours and tastings and many include fantastic restaurants that feature fresh food from the Okanagan. A few popular wineries are listed below:
1. Summerhill Winery is Canada’s most visited winery. It offers free public tours and tastings every day during the season and features an excellent restaurant for lunch or dinner.
4870 Chute Lake Rd. ph: (250) 764-8000 www.summerhill.bc.ca
2. Cedar Creek Winery is another lovely spot that offers public or private tours and tastings.
5445 Lakeshore Rd. ph: (250) 764-8866 www.cedarcreek.bc.ca
3. Mission Hill Winery is a family estate winery located on the West side of Okanagan Lake.
1730 Mission Hill Rd. ph: (250) 768-7611 www.missionhillwinery.com